Sunday 6 July 2008

Mattias the illegal immigrant

I am now slightly worried for my tourist card. All visitors in Mexico should possess a tourist card while in the country but the bus I was on just went straight across the border (only stopped for checking luggage and at the bus terminal on the other side) and there were no passport controls or places to get the card. I am not entirely certain about the rules but it may mean that I am in the country illegally. There are now two alternatives; either I try to contact the immigration office and ask them to have a card issued or I pretend like nothing and hope that they wont check it when I exit the country. I read that there may be a fee involved for lost tourist cards so it will almost certainly not be for free. Or maybe a few years in a Mexican prison would do me well. To be continued…


The journalist Nick Ellena lodging in a Mexican prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment