Thursday 14 August 2008

…but was it a good creation? Cancun – where dollars talk

Dollars talk in every place in Mexico but especially here in Cancun it is evident. They say that 80% of all flights to Mexico go via Cancun airport. I wonder why because this place truly sucks donkeyballs and it is the most disappointing place I’ve seen since I was in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire.
There are supposed to be nice beaches here but most of them are off-limits as there are hotels lined up along the coast and to access the beach (provided that you are not staying at one of the 4 or 5 star hotels), you almost always have to somehow try to cross the hotel lobby unnoticed and get out on the sea side. If you don’t want to attempt this, your only choice is to locate one of the few beaches with public access, which generally are small, dirty and jam-packed with visitors.
When I arrived I made arrangements to stay two or three nights. Later I was told that the hostel made a mistake and that I could only stay one night as it was fully booked. I am so happy for this.

Cheap (no, just kidding) hotels lining up along the only road in ‘Zona Hotelera’. This road goes all along the Atlantic beach and as everything is located on it addresses only consist of the distance from the start of the road rather than a complicated numbering system. E.g. 8600 means that the bar or the hotel is located 8.6 km from the beginning of the road. That is the only cool thing in Cancun.

No comments:

Post a Comment