Thursday 28 August 2008

Götland Vodka - From Sweden?

In Puebla I drank this vodka and judging by its name, I thought it was German and it tasted bad. Later I saw the bottle in a store and on the label you can read:


“People around the Globe who seek to live the fullest have long been attracted to the Swedish island of Götland, famous for its vibrant celebratory lifestyle. That vibrant character has been captured in Götland Vodka... A sophisticated spirit distilled from the choicest grain and distilled five times for a smooth, crisp taste that is sure to enhance one’s enjoyment of life anywhere in the world.”


It is funny because I have never ever seen this Vodka, neither am I familiar with the island of Götland. And the stuff about celebratory lifestyle is actually even worse bullshit than the bullshit I can invent for my technical reports; I am thoroughly impressed.


If you happen to know anything about this vodka, post your comment here because there is nothing to be read on the internet.


The mysterious brand

7 comments:

  1. First and foremost, the island's name is not spellt with umlauts (it is Gotland, not Götland) and second, this product is not even avaiable at Swedish Alcohol Retail Monopoly (Systembolaget.se).

    I'd suggest this is marketing BS capatilising on the popularity of Absolut's image, although I'm just guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thoughts. It may very well be true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also Swedish, and as the comment above explains it is not Swedish, but I have done some research and apparently it is made in Mexico...

    ReplyDelete
  4. im swedish and im actully from the island of Gotland! i got supriced cuz ive never in my life seen this vodka until i lived in monterrey, mexico for half a year!! you can find this discusting, horrible vodka in every shitty club!! really cheap!!haha : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. The above is pretty much uniformed comment. It does not matter where it is from--if it is either good or bad. I spend half my time in Texas where I am a devotee of Grey Goose, and half my time on the Mexican Island of Cozumel where I discovered Gotland at Sam's Club. I gave it a try and can honestly say it is as good or better than Grey Goose. Price is really no object to me but the fact that Gotland sells for about $9 US per liter is just a plus for anyone. If I could get Gotland in the US I'd never buy another bottle of Grey Goose.

    To every Vodka drinker that I have exposed it to here in Cozumel—all have been greatly impressed.

    The fine print on the blue bottle says made in USA and imported to Mexico, but it is not available in the USA. Probably the Absolute and Grey Goose people pay to keep it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This brand was made in Sweden originally, however it was purchased by Cuervo and today the Vodka is produced in Iowa and then is shipped to Mexico where it is bottled at Cuervo's bottling facilities.

    ReplyDelete