Tuesday 24 June 2008

Delays

In Sweden we sometimes refer to something which can translate to "the law of every thing's inherent evil". South Africa is a good example of this. I would love to have made it all the way to Cape Town but my plans were set back by a number of misfortunate happenings along the way and at one point, I realised that there was no point trying to rush it as it would involve a lot of travelling and very little spare time for sightseeing and enjoyment.

I don't know if I was extremely unlucky or if this happens all the time when you are in Africa or if it was a combination of the two.

One example of misfortunate happenings was buses breaking down. While in South Africa, I was sitting in a total of twelve buses. Of these, four (yes, its not a joke) broke down on the road and had to be replaced by another bus, which caused massive delays. This resulted in that I had to readjust the original itinerary due to late arrivals.
Travelling also had to fit around the fixtures for the Euro 2008 and the bus company's schedules, which only departed on certain days of the week and could cause short delays to escalate to several days.

Broken bus on the highway between Durban - Mhtatah. In the rural areas in the mountains, there were no large towns around and very difficult to get hold of replacement buses.

No comments:

Post a Comment