Tuesday 17 June 2008

Zombie-experience

After the Tofo adventure, I headed back south from Inhambane to Maputo.  The journey was again carried out on one of the jam-packed 30-seaters with dwarf-seats, an unforgettable seven hour bus ride.  After this I spent three relaxing days in Maputo, the capital of Mozambique.  I quickly found my favourite spot in the city, the Mundos bar, in which I could use their free wireless internet for emailing and chatting while sipping on a cold local beer.  On my last night things got a bit crazier as I met an Irishman at the hostel.  As all other Irishmen, he loved beer and after having started the evening at Mundos, we finally ended up at a bar in one of the rougher areas of town.  It looked fairly alright as we arrived to the door in a taxi so I didn’t think more about it while inside but when heading home a few hours later, there were all sorts of weird people hanging around outside, all from prostitutes, pimps, robbers, beggars and other varieties of loose folks.  There were a couple of taxis parked 10 metres from the entrance on the other side of the street and I still can’t believe how it was possible to get past everyone and get into the taxi (and lock the doors) before they all saw us.  As we obviously were the only white people around (and here white people are often synonym to $$$), they flocked around the taxi and tried to open doors and windows from outside. They only moved away from the car when the taxi started to move to save their feet from the wheels.  Now I think I know how it feels to be in a car surrounded by zombies who try to get in and kill you; the classic scene that is reoccurring in every other B-class horror movie. Maputo is a very scary place and I didn’t think places like this existed outside the Hollywood imagination.

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. men usch va' otäckt! Sånt där får du inte utsätta dig för, då får jag gå här och vara orolig...:-)//Mamma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kev said looks like Douala and Phil says it's like Addis... There are more scary movies places than you think...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah tell me about it. This is just the one spot I managed to find. I'm sure the whole Africa is full of places like this.

    ReplyDelete