Monday 19 January 2009

Around Colombia on 60,000 pesos

I decided that after San Agustin, it was enough of Colombia and looked into my wallet: I found 60,000 pesos, or around £20.00. I did not particularly want go to the ATM again and pay an enormous withdrawal fee for a small sum so I wanted to make the 60,000 pesos last until the border.

It was certainly going to be a challenge as it had to be enough for two days of travelling (Pasto-Ipiales-the border), some long-distance buses, a necessary overnight in Pasto and a short detour to the sanctuary in Las Lajas, which I really really wanted to see before I left.

Not knowing the exact prices of buses, rough estimations showed that I probably would have enough money to buy some food the remaining two days.

Unfortunately, the journey to Pasto cost 2,000 more than estimated, I was ripped off on 1,000 when buying the bus ticket to Ipiales and I had also underbudgeted the cost for the guesthouse with 5,000. That evening it did not look too bright but thanks to a higher force, I managed to find an increadibly cheap street-snack (1000) in Pasto (meat with potatoes) that saved me lots on the dinner. Also, with some newfound coins in my jacket pocket and a super cheap bake-fried potato-stuff (500) for breakfast, I was back in business.

I arrived to Ipiales the following day, paid 2000 for storing the luggage a couple of hours and although the colectivo to Las Lajas cost 300 more than estimated one way, I had enough money left to check internet for hostels in Ecuador, buy a little water and eat an Arepa (street snack again) for lunch. And as if that was not enough, I left Colombia with around 500 pesos in souvenir coins.

I was laughing all border-money-changers in their annoying faces. Changing Money? No, no tengo nada. Piss off.


A couple of pictures from Pasto

No comments:

Post a Comment