Sunday 18 January 2009

Breast implants and salsa

I stopped for a while in Cali, the biggest city in south-west Colombia, famous for salsa and plastic surgery. Although there is not much in the area that will keep tourists stay for any considerable amount of time I thought I could keep myself entertained for at least 2-3 days as the distances are long and night-buses are an exhausting means of transport in this region. After checking out the colonial centre, a few not-so-special churches and plazas, the 'Silicon Valley' (a commercial centre that has not got its nickname for its relation to computing) I saw myself failing my mission the second day and left to Popayán a few hours to the south.

On another one of all those endless public holidays in Colombia, Cali on the was a quiet experience with empty streets, no traffic, closed shops and the occacional policeman looking extremely bored while patroling the neighbourhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment