Wednesday 1 April 2009

The southernmost bar in the world

I didn’t find it. Or, so to say, it isn’t here. There are many things here that make a fuss of being “the most southern bla-bla in the world” but nothing about bars. After first having looked for it here, failed and googled a little, it was clear that the most southern bar in the world is not at all located in Ushuaia; it is on a Ukrainian research station in Antarctica. Goddamn Russians!

But anyway, I will not let some vodka-drinkers spoil my holiday. They (or at least their livers) will one day get what they deserve.

While writing the above I got to think about Douglas Adams and his “Restaurant at the end of the universe”. I feel almost like that here. The judgment day or apocalypse could come any minute and I would be able to watch it all from here. Because Ushuaia is too far away to be affected.

Here in Ushuaia it is a little bit cold. The summer is over and we are going towards autumn. I am using the very same clothes as when I was in the Caribbean and maybe they are not quite suited for an Arctic autumn. This, with the only exception of the woolen sweater that I reluctantly invested in while in Peru, the day after freezing my ass off on a hike in the mountains. I’m kind of glad for that now.

But I will not let some frosty weather spoil my holiday either. Today, for example, I managed to get out to the national park using the very cheap (irony!!) buses. And Jesus Christ it was cold out there. Just waiting for the icebergs to float by but I didn’t see any. Bet it was too cold, they went up north.

Wonder how the winter will be.

A few pictures from the beautiful national park.


No comments:

Post a Comment